Friday, November 12, 2010

Freshman Chapel Band Take 1

First of all, I’m very happy how it went. The first time we played, we played “Your Love Never Fails,” “Jesus Paid It All” and “The Stand” and part of “Glory to God.” I'm putting a video up of "Your Love Never Fails" just because I really like that song.


The set I think flowed extremely well together. It was crazy being up there for the first time. I remember looking out the curtain as more and more people filed in the room. I don’t know how to describe how I felt. It wasn’t anxiety, it wasn’t fear, it wasn’t being nervous. The only way I can think of describing it is by saying it was a feeling like “This is really about to happen. Everything that God has shown me over the past couple weeks and months before actually making chapel band is actually a reality. I’m on the chapel band, as one of two worship leaders, and I’m about to play in front of a lot of people. I really shouldn’t have looked up how many seats there are in the auditorium. ‘A lot’ of people is a way less intimidating number than a big number like 1,800. Oh well, that doesn’t matter. This is for God. I can’t believe this is going to happen. Well I can, because God is faithful, but it seems supernatural that I’m up here. I don’t have the best voice, and I feel like everyone is going to judge that, and I’m sure I’m not the best guitar player either, but here it is.”

Then we did it. We played all our songs and I didn’t even concern myself with what people thought. I worshipped my God. I was up there to lead people in worship but also to experience my own worship. And I did just that. The joy I had knowing that this was really happening was overwhelming, but I knew that God was looking down on us smiling. God really ordained the group of 6 we have together for a purpose. After our set was over, I felt so good. I wasn’t walking away saying, “man, I did a good job” but “man, God really showed up.” And after chapel was over as a whole, I started compliment after compliment… after compliment… after compliment… after compliment.

It was to the point where I was having a hard time believing it was possibly THAT good. But I still always smiled and said “Thank you.” I got much more enjoyment when people said that they were truly worshipping. That means way more to me than someone saying “you sounded good.” The intention isn’t to sound good, it’s to worship and to create an environment for other people to worship. So with that being my goal, hearing that other people were worshipping gave me more of a sense that I did what I set out to do. So there you have it. First time was a huge success with lots of good feedback and I’m extremely blessed.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment