Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Freshman Chapel Band Take 2

Well, today was the second time we played in chapel. Needless to say, it felt extremely different. But in a good way. I felt like there was a lot of pressure on us to “perform” well because it seemed that we had raised the bar and built up some high expectations of what we could do. Quite a few people even said “that was the best chapel all year” so I felt like expectations were definitely high. A lot of people expressed excitement that we were playing again and it didn’t make me worry, but like I mentioned, it gave a little pressure because people seemed to be expecting something that only God could provide. But, I trusted that He would.

Our second set consisted of “Holy Moment,” “Lead Me To The Cross,” and “Fire Fall Down.” We started off really well but I ran into some bumps during our playing. I broke a string mid song! That was super annoying. It was extremely annoying because I just put that string on last night. All 6 strings were brand new strings that I just got on Saturday. I broke the G-string (haha) the night before at rehearsal and then replaced it for the morning but it broke again on stage! I snapped my G-string in front of everyone! When that happened, I thought to myself, “Satan really doesn’t want this to be happening right now.” But I didn’t miss a beat and I just kept playing. But! I then proceeded to drop my pick while strumming a chord. Luckily, I had more so I grabbed another off my stand. Unfortunately, dropped that one too! But once again, I didn’t let it affect me. So needless to say, it had it’s share of struggles during the set, but God redeemed it.

Side note: I think it’s an important one. During “Fire Fall Down” today, I actually, while still on stage, grabbed my microphone and kneeled down and continued to worship. God really humbled me when I told him I wasn’t going to care what people thought. End side note.

Despite the fact that I broke a string and my picks were flying around, we still got some good feedback. I mentioned earlier how it was different this time; it was different in more ways that one. One way was that I didn’t have those “first time jitters.” In another way, it was different than before because I really didn’t want compliments. The first time I was okay with them because I did want to know how it came across. But this time, after all that happening, I didn’t want to hear it as much. I actually tried to avoid people for the rest of the morning (it only worked for a little while) I would’ve been fine with no one saying anything. Because I don’t care what people think. I do what I do for God, not for people. But I still have learned to smile and say “thank you.” I really do appreciate the compliments, and it’s encouraging, but sometimes I feel like people just say it to say it.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment